For many home or business owners, the roof of their building poses a riddle that is not very easy to solve. The good news? With a little bit of homework, it is easy to learn the fundamentals of what your roof needs.
When it comes time to call a roofing contractor, you will be able to enter into the conversation and answer their questions for your property.
Step One: What do You Need?
Signs that your current roof needs replacement begin with a check inside the attic of your Elk Grove home:
- Examine your roof’s underside for light coming in (from holes)
- Stains on interior walls or ceilings
- Leakage in the attic after heavy rains
- Dark spots, trails, rust streaks from nails
- Sagging underlayment
- High energy bills
Outside, carefully check your roof (safely, from a ladder leaning against your roof edge):
- Missing, cracked or curling shingles
- Shingle, sheathing, or siding decay
- Check in the gutters for granules washed off the roof—the more granules that are washed away, the less water resistant your roof is
- Mold, mildew and algae growth
- Lifted shingles or sagging spots in the roof
- Examine flashing (metal sheets) around all roof piercings—these should be smooth, flat, and secure
Shingle roofs seldom last more than 20 years. While old age alone is not a deciding factor, it is a significant contributing reason for replacement.
Step Two: Selection
Asphalt shingles from a reliable roofing contractor are an economical choice when weighed against the up-front costs of metal roofs or other options. Better brands bring wider choices. Consider Owens Corning, which offers three grades of asphalt shingles:
- Traditional—very popular, widely used three-tab shingles
- Architectural—deeply cut, in designer colors; offers dramatic curb appeal and a boost in home value
- Specialty—premium shingles, including high impact resistance and energy-saving cool shingles
The additional hallmarks of a good shingle offered by a professional roofing contractor are:
- Algae Resistant—some Owens Corning shingles resist algae for 15 years
- Wind Resistant—Owens Corning TruDefinition® Duration® Shingles resist up to 130 mile per hour winds
- Warranty—Owens Corning features shingles with limited lifetime warranties
- Design—Owens Corning’s Oakridge shingles combine architectural artistry with hi-tech laminated shingle and fiberglass construction
Step Three: Roofing Contractor
The average buyer may not be able to tell the difference between a mediocre shingle and one of the quality shingles available from Owens Corning. Finding a reputable roofing contractor with years of experience is a great step toward getting a superior asphalt shingle. Straight Line Roofing is a Preferred Platinum Owens Corning Contractor – we refuse to give our clients mediocre service and make a point to be as thorough and communicative as possible.
After thoroughly weighing your choices and taking your time to select the best roof for your Elk Grove property, relying on the integrity and craftsmanship of a good roofing contractor is an excellent way to guarantee your satisfaction with your new roof.
Contact Straight Line when you are in the market for a new shingle roof.