What You Should Know When Choosing a Contractor
When you’re choosing the contractor who is going to work on your home, you want to ensure they’re reputable and skilled. There are multiple factors you should consider when choosing your contractor.
Does the company have a solid track record? Some companies haven’t been in business for long, lack experience or credentials, or may be unable to provide references. Here are some questions to ask:
- How long have they been in business? If a contractor has only been around for a year or two, they might not be the most reliable or trustworthy contractor.
- Do they have referrals and reviews you can look at? Seeing what past customers think of their services can help you get a better understanding of their work.
- Do they use sub-contractors? Using sub-contractors typically means they cut corners and can cause major problems for your project.
- How long has their crew worked with them? The longer a crew has worked with a contractor means the more experience they have and the likelihood they’ll do an awesome job on your project.
- Do they provide a written estimate? Having an itemized estimate is an essential part of a good project and a sign of a trustworthy contractor. This shows you exactly what you’re paying for.
- What is their cleanup and debris removal process? Do they perform the cleanup and debris removal? Knowing if and when the job site will be cleaned up helps you know if they’re a reputable contractor.
Does the company have the required licenses and coverage? Companies who operate under the radar cut corners in these areas, which can leave you, the customer, in a bad situation after the job is done and the company has disappeared!
- Are they licensed in the trade you’re requesting them to perform? A licensed contractor means a certified and competent contractor.
- Are they manufacturer certified to install the system? Having a manufacturer certification is key to knowing a contractor has been properly trained for the product installation.
Is a building permit required for your project, and if so will they obtain one? Having a contractor who takes care of all the permit requirements helps you ensure they’re knowledgeable and dependable.
Does the company have high, impeccable safety standards? Companies who skimp on safety risk disaster on the job for both the customer and workers!
- Do they have liability insurance and workers’ compensation? Ask for proof of these. This will cover your property from any damages done during the project and if any of the crew is injured, you won’t be liable.
- What safety training does the crew have? Ensuring the crew is properly safety trained means they’ll not only protect themselves but also you and your property.
- What other steps do they take for their crew’s safety? If they go above and beyond for the safety of their crews, then they’re going to go the extra mile for your project.
- What steps do they take to ensure the safety of your family and home? If they can provide you with the precautions they take, then you can be confident your safety is a top priority of theirs.
Does the company guarantee their work? Can they stand behind their workmanship? If a company will not guarantee their work, buyer beware!
- Do they offer a Workmanship Warranty? How long is it? A workmanship warranty means they stand behind their work and are proud of what they do.
- Do they offer manufacturer-backed product and workmanship warranties or guarantees? A contractor with manufacturer-backed warranties means they use quality products.
- How are potential warranty repairs handled? It’s imperative they can provide you with a plan of action for you to follow, or explain the process to you.
We Are NOT the “Typical Contractor”
Straight Line Construction will happily answer all these questions and any others you may have. Contact us to set up your FREE estimate and you’ll quickly understand the difference. We stand above other “typical” contractors with our high standards for workmanship, safety, and customer service.
Give Straight Line Construction a call today to let us work with you on your roofing project!