t’s always wise to ask for a detailed roofing estimate from your roofing contractor. If you’re shopping around to get different bids, these details could help you save money and choose the most experienced contractor.
But even if you’ve already decided to work with Straight Line Construction for your roof repairs, we always want you to know what’s in your contract before you sign it! Here’s what to look for in your roofing contract.
- Condition: Your contract should include a summary of your roof’s current condition and an explanation of why roof repair or replacement is necessary.
- Square Footage: Whether it’s a small repair or a complete roof replacement, the estimate should include the square footage being worked on.
- Roofing Materials: You have a lot of options to choose from in roofing materials. What you choose is a matter of budget, quality, and aesthetics. Make sure you and your contractor are on the same page when it comes to types of roofing materials (i.e. asphalt shingles vs. metal roofing) as well as colors, manufacturers, and other details like flashing, underlayment, ventilation, etc.
- Work Details: You need to know what the roofing crew will be doing! Are they tearing off your old roof, or simply laying down new shingles? If they are doing a tear-off, will they also be disposing of the old roof? These are details which separate the pros from the amateurs, and everything should be spelled out in your contract.
- Warranty Options: Does your contractor offer a workmanship warranty in addition to the manufacturer’s warranty on the materials used? Is there an option to upgrade your warranty? What is the coverage?
- Timeline: How long it takes to repair or replace your roof will depend on the weather, the size of your roof, and many other factors, but your contract should always include an approximate timeline.
- Payment Due Dates: Look for a breakdown of what you owe and when it’s due. And be sure to inquire about your financing options!
Remember it’s always good to ask questions. A good contractor will be honest and transparent; and will be happy to clarify your roofing contract.
Contact us today to learn more about working with Straight Line Construction for all your roofing needs in the Sacramento area. We’ve been serving our friends and neighbors for more than 20 years, and we’re committed to not only fixing your roof, but also making you a more informed homeowner!